I am not more special than the next person. In fact, if I were to believe clues I have picked up on from other people through the years, I am nobody. I’m not pretty enough to be special, not rich enough, not well dressed enough. My teeth are not straight enough or white enough. My family is not important enough. I don’t have important enough friends. I don’t drive a nice enough car or live in a nice enough neighborhood. I’m just not good enough to be that impressive.
That’s the way people have made me feel (and that’s the people who haven’t made a special effort to be mean and make me feel bad; some have made me feel worse.)
But I make a great effort not to dwell on these things. In fact, I am happy now, looking back, because these feelings of non-importance that I have received from others have driven me to God for love and comfort. And, as I have drawn closer to Him, I have found the truth in His Word.
Those vibes that I got from others have been fiery darts from the enemy of my soul, who happens also to be the enemy of God. The enemy is using other people to lie to me, throwing up a smoke screen so I won’t see that God has gifted me and commissioned me to serve Him in His kingdom.
Can you imagine standing before God at the Bema judgment seat, and He says,
“What have you done to further My kingdom?”
And your (my) answer is,
“Well, Lord, not very much, because as You know, I wasn’t very important, so I didn’t have much to offer, so I didn’t really try very hard. It was easier to let the more important people get out there and do the work.”
Somehow, I don’t think that’s an acceptable answer from God’s point of view.
- First of all, He has gifted every one of His saints for His service, including me and you. (Romans 12; 1 Cor. 12; Ephesians 4; 1 Peter 4)
- Second, He declared you important enough for His Son to die for you. He made an investment in your life, and He only makes wise investments. He saw the diamond in the mud, so to speak, and came to rescue it and make it His own. In doing so, He declared you to be of great value.
- Third, He has declared you important enough never to leave you nor forsake you, to be with you always, even unto the end of the world, and to stay close beside you, ever watchful 24/7. (Hebrews 13:5; Matt. 28:20; Psalm 139)
- Fourth, He looked down at the speck that was me/you, and decided to show me/you mercy and grace.–He “made us alive together with Christ… and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.” (Ephesians 2:5,6 NASB)
- And there are many more promises like the ones above, just waiting for you and me to find and claim for our own. They are priceless treasures just waiting to be mined. This takes effort on our part, but it is well worth it!
To those who may disagree that God values us because you have been taught that we are unworthy sinners, I’d like to suggest that we can be unworthy of His salvation and still be declared by Him to be of great value. Our worth is not something we create; rather it is something that HE declares to be. This is the mystery of His grace. We don’t have to understand how that can be. It just is…(and you who are parents should understand this)…Because He said so!
We are accepted in Jesus Christ, the Beloved. So let us, in gratefulness, go out and proclaim the gospel so that others may also be saved and find their worth in Christ, to Whom be the glory for ever and ever!
Linking up at: